[lbo-talk] A Mac in my future

Tayssir John Gabbour tayssir.john at googlemail.com
Sat Jan 19 07:25:08 PST 2008

On Jan 16, 2008 11:42 AM, B. <docile_body at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Anyone know of a site that contains a comprehensive
> overview of the models Jobs revealed at MacWorld, eps.
> what their prices will be, release dates, and the
> machines' specs? I'm considering getting a MacBook
> soon.

Sorry for taking a long while - I was interrupted while writing this email.

Anandtech argues waiting till at least second half of 2008 for "slightly better performance, better battery life and should keep your lap a lot cooler." Perhaps even a couple years, to reduce the various compromises.

Anandtech also recommends taking the $1000 solid-state harddrive upgrade, to keep down heat and because the inexpensive harddrive may be its weak point. In the end, they recommend the other mac notebooks for "the vast majority of people."

(Of course, they warn that they haven't yet gotten their hands on the MacBook Air, so it's all speculation.)

http://www.anandtech.com/printarticle.aspx?i=3203

http://www.anandtech.com/printarticle.aspx?i=3201

Personally, I think waiting a while is just good sense -- being Apple's betatester sucks. Last year I got an early model MacBook Pro (because it was refurbished) and basically most of it needed to be replaced. Because of insane heat problems that ruined everything, as well as annoying monitor spots where parts were clearly darker than others. Even the keyboard and fans had to be replaced.

Pro (comparison with older MacBook):

http://daringfireball.net/2008/01/macbook_air

Con:

http://apcmag.com/7839/macbook_air_top_10_things_wrong_with_it

> Having said that, man, Macs are more fun. Maybe I am
> guilty of the "branding" deceit and have been
> successful indoctrinated by Apple's marketing people.
> Like kids who prefer the same food in McDonald's
> wrappers that is put in plain brown wrappers.

Yeah, I think they're much more pleasant than other computers. Though I don't like the fact that Apple blocks people from running MacOS X in a virtual machine. Subconsciously, I think that makes me consider working in MacOS insecure.

Tayssir