[lbo-talk] Golfweek editor fired over noose magazine cover

B. docile_body at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 19 09:58:35 PST 2008

[Ah, Golfweek, that lightning rod of socio-cultural controversy! A picture of the really grim magazine cover is here:

http://news.yahoo.com/nphotos/image-released-Golfweek-magazine-shows-cover-Jan-19-2008-issue/photo//080118/483/e31894b0597a4915b0f7ab1f59268a83//s:/ap/20080119/ap_on_sp_go_ne/glf_golfweek_editor_out_12;_ylt=AtGHtnCbA7hoREmyozAfEp.99bQF

- B.]

Golfweek editor fired for noose cover

By DOUG FERGUSON, AP Golf Writer Sat Jan 19, 6:48 AM ET

Ten days after a Golf Channel anchor was suspended for her use of "lynch" in commentary on Tiger Woods, an editor was fired Friday for illustrating the controversy with a noose on the cover of Golfweek magazine.

Dave Seanor, vice president and editor who took responsibility for the noose cover of the Jan. 19 issue, was replaced by Jeff Babineau.

"We apologize for creating this graphic cover that received extreme negative reaction from consumers, subscribers and advertisers across the country," Turnstile Publishing Co. president William J. Kupper Jr. said. "We were trying to convey the controversial issue with a strong and provocative graphic image. It is now obvious that the overall reaction to our cover deeply offended many people. For that, we are deeply apologetic."

[...]

Faldo suggested that "to take Tiger on, maybe they should just gang up (on him) for a while."

"Lynch him in a back alley," Tilghman said, laughing.

Golf Channel issued a statement four days later to say it regretted the comment and that Tilghman had apologized to Woods. But when the Rev. Al Sharpton demanded on CNN that she be fired, Golf Channel suspended Tilghman for two weeks.

The Golfweek cover shows a noose against a purple sky with the title, "Caught in a Noose." The subtitle said, "Tilghman slips up, and Golf Channel can't wriggle free." For many, the noose is symbol of lynchings in the Old South. According to Tuskeege University, 3,466 blacks were lynched in the United States from 1882 to 1968.

[...]

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080119/ap_on_sp_go_ne/glf_golfweek_editor_out_12