[lbo-talk] a different view of U.S. mfg

(Chuck Grimes) cgrimes at rawbw.COM
Mon Jan 21 07:26:57 PST 2008

At Hamill, a general machinist will start at $9 an hour, rising to $14.50 an hour after training, and going up to the mid to high twenties for senior machinists, who can earn nearly $70,000 a year.

---------

Right there. That's why. Somebody fresh out of vocational training program in machining will not take a job for 9.00/hr and wait four years to get 14/hr. That's crazy. That can't be a union shop. They should be starting at 16/hr or near it.

Here's the other bitch:

"Too few young people consider manufacturing careers and often are unaware of the skills needed in an advanced environment," the U.S. Labor department wrote in a study on the issue.

When I was in high school in the late 50s, we had full wood, metal, and auto shops, plus drafting courses where you could get the needed skills. But those kinds of programs were cut long ago. At this point, elementary drafting needs to be supplemented with CAD courses. As far as I know, damned few high schools are teaching that. And the local community colleges where some of this is offered are so backlogged, you can't get in the necessary courses... well because there are too few of them offered.

And another thing. It used to be part of union programs, to work with high schools and local cc's to put together the appropriate classes so that kids coming out of them were ready for union apprentice status with their first job.

So the US Dept of Labor can stick it up its ass. Likewise DOE. You want your skilled working class back, then fucking cough up the buckeroos, assholes...

CG