[lbo-talk] daisy chain: clinton on obama on reagan

shag at cleandraws.com shag at cleandraws.com
Tue Jan 22 06:26:22 PST 2008

I'm reading all these politically-oriented blogs and I'm so irritated (I know! I know Eric! I shouldn't be. But I am!) by the way people have consistently ignored what Obama said about the excesses of the 60s and 70s -- as if he wasn't talking about those nasty identity politics movements that screwed everything up. As if he wasn't laying the blame for it at the feet of the black power movement, AIM, women's liberation, the antiwar movement, etc. (I'd add the wildcat striking labor movement, Chavez, etc. because he's such a big champion of "special interest" labor. But these issues would, of course, make very little dent in the liberal democrat imagination. Wah? Wuz that? Unions? Huh?)

Good ol' triangulating Clinton attacked "party of ideas" phrasing and it just got worse as everyone prattles on about what he really meant re ideas, change agents. fuck me dead.

Was "change agent" not the term used for people who move into corporations or take "leadership" roles to get people used to the fact that the org was changing which meant ratcheted up hours, more stressful work conditions, few benefits, pay cuts, etc.

Anyone know the etymology?

Doesn't matter anyway... I just need to get a shower after reading all this spew defending Obama, when no one bothered to check the language "excesses," "dynamism," "entrepreneurialism" and "accountability" and recognize that, it wasn't just praise of Reagan for being a "change agent" -- it was praise of Reagan for some of his ideas. And maybe a man who seems to have made his bones in the deep fissures opened up by the the likes of Reagan -- for community-based activism to step in when government programs that had barely been implemented were routed -- would feel beholden to Reagan for help making his career possible.

Not that Clinton is any better. She's a master of triangulation and bi- *spit* partisanship.

shag

http://cleandraws.com WEAR CLEAN DRAWS 'coz there's 5 million ways to kill a ceo