[lbo-talk] daisy chain: clinton on obama on reagan

C. G. Estabrook galliher at uiuc.edu
Wed Jan 23 14:45:31 PST 2008

I think that, by the "excesses of the 60s and 70s," Obama means in the first place the anti-war movement.

Obama's known for a long time that the way forward (for him) is to cover over the yawning gap between the interests of the elites and those of the majority. That's why we hear so much from him about "unity." ("Change" and "hope" are effective synonyms.)

In his book, The Mendacity of Hope, he writes "...perhaps the biggest casualty of [the Vietnam] war was the bond of trust between the American people and their government – and between American themselves ... Increasingly, many on the left voiced opposition not only to the Vietnam War but also to the broader aims of American foreign policy. In their view, President Johnson, General Westmoreland, the CIA, the ‘military industrial complex,’ and international institutions like the World Bank were all manifestations of American arrogance, jingoism, racism, capitalism and imperialism." Now, that's serious and has to be dealt with.

Obama and his co-conspirators know that those are the views that have to be put down (along with the incidental objection that "the biggest casualty of the war" may have been four million dead Asians). Therefore he praises Reagan for "changing the trajectory of America" -- as he intends to do. (Nixon and Clinton didn't, he said, but Kennedy did -- ranking presidents on the success of their media-aided lies to the country.)

In Newsweek in November 2004 Jonathan Alter wrote,

"On the day after the bitter 1968 presidential election, Richard Nixon held a press conference. After edging Hubert Humphrey by less than 1 percentage point, Nixon wanted to strike the right tone. So he recalled a hand-lettered sign he had seen in the hands of an Ohio girl while campaigning by train earlier on. The sign by the side of the railroad tracks said simply BRING US TOGETHER. Aides later speculated that the sign had been placed there by the Nixon advance team, but the president-elect's point was clear. He knew the country wanted to hear a few soothing words about unity and peace."

Plus ca change, plus c'est la meme *pose*... --CGE