[lbo-talk] let's all pray for a depression

chuck at mutualaid.org chuck at mutualaid.org
Tue Jan 22 18:44:31 PST 2008

> On Jan 22, 2008, at 6:38 PM, Chuck wrote:
>
>> Why do American leftists
>> prefer armchair activism over action?
>
> So what should they/we be doing?

One of my criticisms of the U.S. anti-globalization movement is that it hasn't gone beyond the issues and themes of international neoliberalism. I think that there was an opportunity after the first years of the post-Seattle movement to organize campaigns around domestic economic issues, such as predatory lending. Remember that organizing around a variety of campaigns during the 1990s built a movement and momentum going into Seattle. One example is the activism that was done in response to NAFTA.

As you mentioned earlier today, the housing crisis is one important facet of this week's economic crisis. We should organize more campaigns around this issue. Not necessarily campaigns around middle class homeowners facing foreclosures, but something that focuses on affordable housing, the lack if which has been a problem for many years.

Chuck