[lbo-talk] let's all pray for a depression

shag shag at cleandraws.com
Tue Jan 22 18:55:39 PST 2008

At 09:44 PM 1/22/2008, chuck at mutualaid.org wrote:

> > On Jan 22, 2008, at 6:38 PM, Chuck wrote:
> >
> >> Why do American leftists
> >> prefer armchair activism over action?
> >
> > So what should they/we be doing?
>
>One of my criticisms of the U.S. anti-globalization movement is that it
>hasn't gone beyond the issues and themes of international neoliberalism. I
>think that there was an opportunity after the first years of the
>post-Seattle movement to organize campaigns around domestic economic
>issues, such as predatory lending. Remember that organizing around a
>variety of campaigns during the 1990s built a movement and momentum going
>into Seattle. One example is the activism that was done in response to
>NAFTA.
>
>As you mentioned earlier today, the housing crisis is one important facet
>of this week's economic crisis. We should organize more campaigns around
>this issue. Not necessarily campaigns around middle class homeowners
>facing foreclosures, but something that focuses on affordable housing, the
>lack if which has been a problem for many years.
>
>Chuck

I guess one of the things that sometimes bothers me about your various proposals is that there doesn't seem to be any sustained reasons for _why_ you think organizing ought to go on around an issue. It just seems to present itself, and then you implore folks to step up to the plate for whatever issue of the week.

People have been organizing around this forever, as you must know. The struggle to protect people dealing with the onslaught of "urban renewal" and gentrification are big issues.

Do you consider reasons for choosing the strategies you choose -- in this case affordable housing (which I'd argue isn't so easy to define anyway, so kinda hard to keep it not about middle class homebuyers)? Is there a strategy here for why this issue and not another one? Is it just about dealing with whatever issue presents itself as likely one to get more people on our side?

Curious,

shag (the artist formerly known as BL)