[lbo-talk] daisy chain: clinton on obama on reagan

shag shag at cleandraws.com
Wed Jan 23 18:11:00 PST 2008

At 08:02 PM 1/23/2008, Carrol Cox wrote:

>"C. G. Estabrook" wrote:
> >
> > I think that, by the "excesses of the 60s and 70s," Obama means in the
> first
> > place the anti-war movement.
>
>When the two of us made similar points to this three+ years ago we were
>described as "political purists."
>
>Carrol

the people who edged close to that were andie, Jon Johanning, and Michael Dawson. Read the thread and see. You're arguing with ppl no longer subscribed or who aren't even involved in this convo. I corrected you on this the last time you tried to engage in this crap, but here it is again, my post to you then -- and there were several more about *narratives* that tell a story about who we are as *leftists* and why we struggle.

At 10:19 AM 11/7/2004, Carrol Cox wrote:

>The trouble with Barack Obama

repeat after me. I am not talking about obama.

I'm talking about the moral vision of the left.

What inspires you to sacrifice, Carrol? Who are the leftists or people in your life that keep you going? What makes you believe that you are moving in the right direction and that it's worth your effort to tap away at a keyboard trying to change other people's minds?

-------------------------- My point wasn't so much about Obama's policies but his use of narrative. I explained what I meant then and I explained it again a couple of years ago when you accused people here of having "orgasms" over Obama.[1] To no avail. *sigh* But just to correct the record for others' benefit. *snork*

Now, it is true that re: Obama and what he's all about, CGE has been wonderful about providing info. It's not like I was going to support a democratic candidate -- or any for that matter. I like the elections bc it's a freakin' horse race and it's sometimes simply fun to watch and argue for the sake of it. that's it. that's all it's ever been. once in awhile, there might be a nickel's worth of difference worth fighting for -- not that i'd campaign for one of these ratfuckers. but i might waste some time at work having a debate at Lame Brained Onanists. [2]

[1] http://mailman.lbo-talk.org/2006/2006-November/023718.html

[2] you can start here: http://mailman.lbo-talk.org/2004/2004-November/025998.html