[lbo-talk] let's all pray for a depression

Patrick Bond pbond at mail.ngo.za
Wed Jan 23 22:20:21 PST 2008

Doug Henwood wrote:

> The 1930s are not a very inspiring example. Depression, fascism, and
> world war - is that what you're looking for?
Oh man... No, how about mass labour mobilisation and the New Deal? Best thing Your People have done within the US state, I reckon. The Brits got much of their welfare state off the ground from the rubble of weakened elite power following depression/war, too. What grounds are there for thinking a depressed and disempowered and ex-empired USA in the mid-21st century might see a revival of this spirit? Occasional sparks, like the occasional big anti-war demos or the Latino workers' protests... but what, similarly, was the basis of 1920s optimism? It didn't look too good then either, did it?

> Angus Maddison's stats
> don't show much of a benefit for Latin America during the 1930s; the
> region had a per capita GDP about 31% of the U.S. in 1930, and about
> the same in 1940. Bourgeois stats, I know.

Quite right. Try some Gunder Frank or ECLA classics for an antidote. Old, sure, but on this issue not past the sell-by date yet.