[lbo-talk] UC London study: Job-related stress literally can kill you

John Thornton jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jan 24 11:33:25 PST 2008

> I brought this very subject up with my sister this morning after I had
> to get up at 7am to take her to work so I could go to a job interview
> later in the morning. As somebody who doesn't have to punch a clock and
> keeps late night geek hours, the alarm clock has become a foreign thing
> to my life.
>
> Waking up this morning was especially jarring for me, so I brought this
> up with the sister. What kind of physical damage does the process of
> waking up to an alarm clock do to a person over the course of their life?
>
> Chuck

I bought myself one of those alarm clocks that offers Nature Sounds, a CD, or regular alarm along with a ramping up effect for volume. I use the sound of birds with the ramp up effect and waking up is a much more natural process. In a sense it is like awakening when one is on a backpacking trip and has a 'natural' feel to it. I was one of those who was always severely startled awake by the sound of a traditional alarm. Pulse and BP both jumped immediately upon hearing that alarm. If you're a heavy sleeper it may not work for you however. If you can afford an $80 an alarm clock I recommend it. I know $80 isn't a large sum for most list members but for many that sounds like an extravagant waste when a $5 alternative exists. I no longer dread having to use my alarm clock when something compels me to awaken earlier than my normal routine and that was worth $80 to me anyway. Good luck on your job interview.

John Thornton