[lbo-talk] UC London study: Job-related stress literally can kill you

John Thornton jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jan 24 16:26:30 PST 2008

shag wrote:
> At 04:28 PM 1/24/2008, John Thornton wrote:
>
>> Dennis Claxton wrote:
>>
>>> Yeah, I've done my time in the country. A few years ago I went back
>>> to visit and was sitting on the back porch sipping a little
>>> scotch. I had to cut the experience short though because the
>>> darkness and noise from unseen critters was elevating my pulse and BP.
>>>
>> I'm sorry you had such a negative experience. I would suggest you
>> refrain from visiting rural areas if it has such an effect on you.
>>
>> I take it you have some studies that show that people who experience an
>> start upon awakening and experience a BP and pulse rate increase of 40%
>> to 60% as well as elevated cortisol levels have shown no long term
>> negative effects from this repeated stress exposure? Or do you not any
>> studies to show that your opinions are just inherently correct? Maybe
>> you should read studies on awakening cortisol responses and its effects
>> on health so you can post an informed opinion rather than clever nonsense?
>>
>> John Thornton
>>

> there's nothing "nonsense" about it as a response to *you*. you said
> yourself that you believed it was possibly just a specific response
> on your part:
>
> "Not everyone is going to react this way to an alarm but for people who
> do it cannot be healthy to be startled every fucking day to start their day."
>
> For Dennis, he feels differently. Me too. I don't have the same response as
> you do -- to an alarm or rooster or dump truck.
>
> I have a congenital heart condition that has gone untreated for years.
> Therefore, for years, I found myself waking up with a start without an
> alarm clock. I do that because my heart stops. My body responds by kind of
> "jump starting" me back and my heart races, feel a little heart burn, my
> head aches a bit. Normal stuff for my condition. This is related to why
> people die early inthe morning from heart attacks. the heart stops; you
> die. in my case, it stops ... and i awake with a start. Someday, I won't
> wake up and earlier than yer "average" shag because of it.
>
> it has zip -- _for me_ -- to do with an alarm clock since, working from
> home for many years meant I made my own work schedule and, being an early
> riser naturally, I don't need an alarm.
>
> i lived across the street from a farm for 14 years, generally awakened by
> cows mooing, a rooster, and -- my fave -- the mocking bird that perched in
> a pine tree by the bedroom window and woke me with his litany of songs.
>
> now i live in a backwater city, with lots of hustle 'n' bustle, fire
> engines, garbage trucks, sirens, etc. it's all about the same to me and I
> can find loveliness in all sorts of venues -- though I must say that the
> utter silence of the suburbs irritates the crap outta me.
>
> Both Carrol and Dennis, on my reading (and I concur) are people who, having
> lived in rural areas, resent the way people romanticize the rural and
> pastoral as more "natural".

> [...]

No, his reply is nonsense but at least now I understand where his mistake lies. I never romanticized any fucking rural setting. You're putting words into my mouth. Read what I wrote. Now maybe you and Dennis know people who backpack through farm land but I don't. I've lived in both rural and urban setting and nothing I wrote pertained specifically to either. Your resentment of persons romanticizing rural settings is clouding your judgment and making you infer things that aren't there. I don't care if it's a Manhattanite or an Iowa farmer we're talking about. I'm only talking about alarm clocks inducing a BP increase, increased pulse and increased cortisol response in some people regardless of where the person resides. What I wrote was: "In a sense it is like awakening when one is on a backpacking trip and has a 'natural' feel to it." and "for lack of a better word I wake up naturally in the sense that I awaken with my own circadian rhythms." What does that have to do with romanticizing rural life? Abso-fucking-lutely nothing. Is there something unnatural about waking to ones own circadian rhythms that makes my statement false? If alarm clock don't induce this response in you then they don't. I never said it effected everyone but for those it does I can see a health component that Chuck alluded to earlier. Changing my alarm clock eliminated that problem for me and I suggested Chuck try it since he seems to have the same response. I likened my response to this clock to awakening to my own circadian rhythms in a similar manner to when I go backpacking. That's it, that's all there was to my post. Nothing about enjoying a bucolic rural life or romanticizing one place of residence over another. While you're mistaken about my romanticizing anything I do notice neither you nor Carrol are posting a jack-ass type response like Dennis did.

John Thornton