[lbo-talk] UC London study: Job-related stress literally can kill you

shag shag at cleandraws.com
Thu Jan 24 15:24:20 PST 2008

At 04:28 PM 1/24/2008, John Thornton wrote:
>Dennis Claxton wrote:
> > Yeah, I've done my time in the country. A few years ago I went back
> > to visit and was sitting on the back porch sipping a little
> > scotch. I had to cut the experience short though because the
> > darkness and noise from unseen critters was elevating my pulse and BP.
>

>I'm sorry you had such a negative experience. I would suggest you
>refrain from visiting rural areas if it has such an effect on you.
>
>I take it you have some studies that show that people who experience an
>start upon awakening and experience a BP and pulse rate increase of 40%
>to 60% as well as elevated cortisol levels have shown no long term
>negative effects from this repeated stress exposure? Or do you not any
>studies to show that your opinions are just inherently correct? Maybe
>you should read studies on awakening cortisol responses and its effects
>on health so you can post an informed opinion rather than clever nonsense?
>
>John Thornton

there's nothing "nonsense" about it as a response to *you*. you said yourself that you believed it was possibly just a specific response on your part:

"Not everyone is going to react this way to an alarm but for people who do it cannot be healthy to be startled every fucking day to start their day."

For Dennis, he feels differently. Me too. I don't have the same response as you do -- to an alarm or rooster or dump truck.

I have a congenital heart condition that has gone untreated for years. Therefore, for years, I found myself waking up with a start without an alarm clock. I do that because my heart stops. My body responds by kind of "jump starting" me back and my heart races, feel a little heart burn, my head aches a bit. Normal stuff for my condition. This is related to why people die early inthe morning from heart attacks. the heart stops; you die. in my case, it stops ... and i awake with a start. Someday, I won't wake up and earlier than yer "average" shag because of it.

it has zip -- _for me_ -- to do with an alarm clock since, working from home for many years meant I made my own work schedule and, being an early riser naturally, I don't need an alarm.

i lived across the street from a farm for 14 years, generally awakened by cows mooing, a rooster, and -- my fave -- the mocking bird that perched in a pine tree by the bedroom window and woke me with his litany of songs.

now i live in a backwater city, with lots of hustle 'n' bustle, fire engines, garbage trucks, sirens, etc. it's all about the same to me and I can find loveliness in all sorts of venues -- though I must say that the utter silence of the suburbs irritates the crap outta me.

Both Carrol and Dennis, on my reading (and I concur) are people who, having lived in rural areas, resent the way people romanticize the rural and pastoral as more "natural".

So, yeah, what he said was a response to you -- including the subtext.