[lbo-talk] The Independent: Netherlands braced for Muslim anger as second politician releases 'anti-Islam' film

Colin Brace cb at lim.nl
Fri Jan 25 07:54:35 PST 2008

On Fri, Jan 25, 2008 at 1:47 PM, Michael Pollak <mpollak at panix.com> wrote:

> This is kind of a fascinating devotion to liberal principles. This guy
> has been protected by state bodyguards for years, Rushdie like, but the
> state feels powerless to influence his behavior apparently on the grounds
> of unseemliness. And he himself calls for the banning of the Koran on the
> basis that it inspires violence -- an absurd demand, but one which on the
> face of it would seem to make banning his film on the same grounds seem
> like something he couldn't possibly bitch about.
>
> Mind you, I'm for these principles, and I'm for upholding them even in
> extremity. But I somehow I do think providing armed protection gives you
> the right to dictate to your protectee that he not make your task harder.
> Even the President of the US is ordered around by his Secret Service
> sometimes and told what he can't do.

Right, there is no question of banning it outright. The question is whether he will find a forum to propagate it. No one has seen the film yet and no one has offered to broadcast it on the TV.

No doubt the police agents that have to protect this clown prevent him from acting stupidly, but they can't stop him from *saying* stupid shit. For better or worse, he has a pulpit; his party, Partij voor de Vrijheid (PVV), has nine seats (out of 150) in the Dutch Tweede Kamer.

My hope is that he is given enough rope to hang himself -- figuratively speaking of course.

--

Colin Brace

Amsterdam

http://lim.nl