[lbo-talk] Urban wealth/ethnic stratification

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 27 09:25:06 PST 2008

--- Wojtek Sokolowski <swsokolowski at yahoo.com> wrote: . This was accomplished largely by
> stringent residency permits required to live in the
> capital, and to a lesser degree in other major
> cities.

This is still the case in Russia. It's against the Constitution, but you still need a registration document to live in Moscow. My ex from Kazakhstan didn't have one and lived in terror of the cops. This was the case in Poland as well?

> Second, there was segregation in Soviet era cities,
> but more subtle and hidden. Everyone may have had
> similar level of income, but there were worse and
> better living areas, and one had to had the right
> connections, usually political, to live in better
> ones. Hence the term "red bourgeoisie."

Sure, but this was a pretty tiny percentage of the population, right? CP members.

Have a nice time in Africa!

____________________________________________________________________________________ Looking for last minute shopping deals? Find them fast with Yahoo! Search. http://tools.search.yahoo.com/newsearch/category.php?category=shopping