[lbo-talk] Urban wealth/ethnic stratification

Wojtek Sokolowski swsokolowski at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 27 09:52:04 PST 2008

--- Chris Doss <lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> This is still the case in Russia. It's against the
> Constitution, but you still need a registration
> document to live in Moscow. My ex from Kazakhstan
> didn't have one and lived in terror of the cops.
> This
> was the case in Poland as well?

[WS:] Yes, especially in Warsaw.

> Sure, but this was a pretty tiny percentage of the
> population, right? CP members.

[WS:] First of all, CP party membership was not that small, a third or so of the adult population if memory serves, but I canno check those numbers at the moment.

Secondly, it was not just party membership, but knowing the right people. Third, it was linked to shortages of labor in certain sectors of the economy. To attract workers, management often offred generous "fringe benefits" such as nice apartments, since wage scale was centrally fixed. In short it was still a minority who got better living arrangement, but not tiny.

> Have a nice time in Africa!

[WS:] Thanks. I love African trips - such a refreshiing experience after spending (serving?:) time in the US. I mean, Europe is like going back home, nothing special, but Africa has the exotic feeling in it, and people here tend to be absolutely marvelous. I understand that fleecing tourists requires a nice attitude, and tourism is the only life line in many areas, but most people who visit here are taken by African hospitality.

Wojtek

____________________________________________________________________________________ Never miss a thing. Make Yahoo your home page. http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs