[lbo-talk] spawn of Satan endorses BHO

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Thu Jan 31 13:39:55 PST 2008

On Thu, 31 Jan 2008, Doug Henwood wrote:

> [This had to come from Rupert - a former Hillary fan - himself. He
> must think she's going down.]

I wonder if that's it. I think their former dance was purely business on both their parts -- they both had substantial things to gain and nothing to lose by being pal-sy in the early stages because she was his senator. But deep down I think Hillary loathes him for life for good reason and he knows it; he doesn't want his worst enemy in power.

And besides that there's the simple explanation. All newspapers endorse someone for both primaries even if though they really only support one party -- and AFAICT, the overwhelming majority of conservatives say they'd choose Obama if they had to choose one.

Most liberals in the same spot choose McCain, as the NYT did in their endorsements (which were notable on the Republican side mainly for their rip on Rudy). There was an amusing letter to the editor that said the NYT endorsing McCain was like a Hatfield endorsing a McCoy.

Michael