[lbo-talk] Effective political infighting (2)

Julio Huato juliohuato at gmail.com
Tue Jul 1 07:17:16 PDT 2008

Doug wrote:

> What left are you talking about?

The actually existing left.

I like Marta Harnecker's definition, which I unfortunately can't quote now because the pdf files of her _Rebuilding the Left_ have been removed from the rebelion.org web site. By the way, Marta's definition is closely related to the issues I'm currently discussing with Miles.

Marta tries to include in her definition all sources of conscious opposition to capitalism from the grassroots or from above, not only the politically organized left, but also that other part -- much more diffused -- occupied in building "autonomous social spaces" and ways of life alternative to the ways of capital.

I haven't done any serious research. This is just out of my most informal observation. But, IMO, compared to the 1990s, the left today has a much broader public appeal and is ready to demand much more than the left in the 1990s. One big reason is that, back then, the collapse of the Soviet Union was still perplexing to many a leftist. Another big reason is, of course, the Iraq and overall Bush fiasco. That's why I don't think Barack Obama is Bill Clinton redux.