[lbo-talk] Effective political infighting (2)

Marvin Gandall marvgandall at videotron.ca
Tue Jul 1 07:47:40 PDT 2008

=============================== Sure, but it's important to remember, especially the context of the US and other advanced capitalist countries, that those who act in ways which are subversive of capitalist property relations or are opposed to capitalist greed are not often "consciously" opposed to capitalism as a system. That may possibly be the case in Venezuela and other developing countries, but at it's pretty clear that, at htis stage, it's not true of those building co-ops of one sort or another in North America and Europe. They want to curb the power of the big capitalists and make the system more responsive to the needs of the poor and the powerless and the small propertyholders, which is less than what a conscious opposition to capitalism implies. That's not an indictment of what we used to call a "petty-bourgeois" rather than a working class consciousness, only, I think, a more accurate rendering of where most dissenters to the status quo in the West are at today.