[lbo-talk] crazy saturday morning

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Tue Jul 1 08:48:49 PDT 2008

On Jul 1, 2008, at 10:42 AM, Matt wrote:

> Unfortunately the support for the Internet "stuff" and the support for
> the traditional phone "stuff" are not really related, at least based
> on my experience with Verizon. The support organizations are not
> connected and do not seem to share information. Since probably 80-90%
> of users' Internet problems are due to a bad password, a problem with
> MS Windows, or a DSL modem or cable failure, the support staff do not
> receive a lot of training in the skills of true technical problem
> solving. VZ could not afford to keep people with those skills on a
> helpdesk, because as Jordan rightly points out - people don't really
> want to pay for it.

Every DSL provider in the area has to rely on Verizon. So you're saying forget DSL and stick with cable because otherwise you're stuck with drooling morons?

And yeah, I know the staff doesn't receive a lot of technical training. I learned that very well over the years. But they should know when to kick things up to a higher level.

I finally got them to dispatch someone who knew what he was doing by writing to the CEO of Verizon. It worked.

Doug