[lbo-talk] Checklist of recent Obama right-wing policy announcements

B. docile_body at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 1 10:56:10 PDT 2008

Is there anyone who's kept a checklist of the policy revelations Obama has given in the past couple of weeks that put him further to the right than he initially *appeared* to be? [Krugman has always said his domestic agenda was to the right of Hillary's.]

It seems like so far it's been:--

1. Keep and expand Bush's faith-based initiatives; welfare for religious organizations, particularly unsavory in light of...

2. ... announced support for "welfare reform," a la Clinton's elimination of AFDC

3. Support for telco amnesty when it comes to prosecution for wiretaps (FISA)

4. Disapproval of 60s anti-Vietnam War protesters who expressed themselves "by burning flags, by blaming America for all that was wrong with the world, and perhaps most tragically, by failing to honor those veterans coming home from Vietnam, something that remains a national shame to this day."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/06/30/AR2008063002412_pf.html

Also, lest there come the usual "ARE YOU REALLY SURPRISED!? GOOD GOD MAN JUST HOW NAIVE ARE YOU!?"-type responses, which there are always on this list whenever someone points out a Dem's rightward shift and is pissed about it, please note this post is not made because I am now tragically disillusioned whereas before I was some believer in Obama, which I wasn't and have never been. Anyone who sees my post history on the guy should know that. So please hold the "ARE YOU TELLING ME YOU ARE REALLY SURPRISED BY THIS!? YOU ARE CERTAINLY A NAIVE ONE! GET AS SAVVY & WORLDWEARY AS ME, MY FRIEND!" type crap.

Anyway, I know I missed a few above. Probably some foreign policy stuff.

-B.