[lbo-talk] crazy saturday morning

Matt lbo4 at beyondzero.net
Tue Jul 1 12:13:28 PDT 2008

On Tue, Jul 01, 2008 at 12:16:58PM -0700, shag wrote:

> So, not sure if they're clueless as a general rule. My experience is: 90%
> aren't and want the person on the other end of the phone to know that they
> have clue.

"Clueless" is way too harsh. Doug's problem was pretty unique and would not be one most support people had encountered, and I would not expect most level-1 people to be comfortable diagnosing it. Kicking lots of calls over to a different department or a higher level support outside of their documented escalation procedures is a good way to find oneself out of a support job.

I do not mean to imply Doug was like this - but what we find with a lot of our users is that they want to have absolutely no understanding of how their complicated technical widget works, and they want it cheap, but they also want the principal engineer who designed their system available 24/7 to personally debug their problems.

I agree with what you wrote, though. And it doesn't hurt to renforce the message: don't abuse your support people. They can tell when you think you are talking to a clueless person, and it does piss them off.

In addition to your good avice I offer some additional pointers:

* Rather than argue about trying their scripted procedures, just

follow them. Suggest that you've already tried them, but if they

insist, just do it again.

* Be patient. Do not simultaneously insist that your problem is not a

simple user error or fixed by a Windows reboot and also insist it be

resolved right away.

* I usually multi-task. If your DSL is down sit down with a book in

front of your laptop and expect to be on hold while they

troubleshoot. Having something to do instead of sitting their

staring at your "site not found" browser error will make you less

grumpy.

* Don't ask to "speak to a supervisor". That tactic hasn't been

effective for years.

* Don't insult their technical skills.

* If they are obviously not in the USA, ask them a few questions about

where they are from and if they like the work. Not everyone is just

working in Bangalore, and you get to chat for free with someone from

a different continent which is pretty cool (I think).

* If you have exhausted all attempts to fix the problem, ask them if

they have any favors owed to them or have any contacts they can use

to get any other ideas of things to try. Most people on a helpdesk

WANT to know how stuff works and how it is broken and if they become

curious about your problem and like you, you would be surprised

about the type of service you get.

* If someone solves your problem and it was the most horrible problem

in the world and ruining your life up until that point, ask them if

there is an email address or website you can use to submit a report

on excellent customer service.

Matt

-- GnuPG Key ID: 0xC33BD882 aim: beyondzero123 http://blogdayafternoon.com yahoo msg: beyondzero123

Remember, no matter where you go, there you are.

-Buckaroo Banzai