[lbo-talk] crazy saturday morning

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Tue Jul 1 13:59:53 PDT 2008

On Jul 1, 2008, at 3:13 PM, Matt wrote:

> I do not mean to imply Doug was like this - but what we find with a
> lot of our users is that they want to have absolutely no understanding
> of how their complicated technical widget works

One of the things that made me want to scream - no, strike that "want to," I screamed many times - was that they assumed I was a moron who barely knew where the on-off switch was. It got so I told them that I've been working with computers for 30 years so don't assume I'm an idiot. I know the assumption of idiocy is in their script but given the scores of times I called them it got rather old.

I should have known the product was jinxed from the start. Their installation CD didn't work. The program claimed that I didn't have the right permissions. I was the admin user and all the permissions in the world. When I called their help line about this annoyance, no one knew what I was talking about. Fortunately it was easy to enter the settings manually, but I'm guessing that there were a lot of users who'd faint at the sight of the term "subnet mask."

Doug