[lbo-talk] sprinting rightwards

Joseph Catron jncatron at gmail.com
Tue Jul 1 18:55:41 PDT 2008

On Tue, Jul 1, 2008 at 4:54 PM, Jim Straub <rustbeltjacobin at gmail.com> wrote:

> Blech! Shudder. Two, three, many SEIU's, UNITE HERE's, CWA's, yeah--- but
> let's not multiply our problems with Cmde Andy! Stern himself is a net
> negative by now, I think.

You obviously know more about this than I do, but hasn't Stern played some kind of important role in transforming SEIU into the most effective working-class organizing project in the country? I have no great love for the man, but can't believe his entire shtick has consisted of applying his own rhetoric to a process that would have unfolded without him. Not that you said such a thing, but would SEIU be anywhere near where it is without Stern?