[lbo-talk] Penn Jillette on global warming

John Thornton jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jul 3 13:36:27 PDT 2008

Jordan Hayes wrote:
> Penn writes:
>
>>> But the climate of the whole world is more complicated. I'm not a
>>> scientist, and I haven't spent my life studying weather.
>
> I think that's pretty disappointing; you don't have to do what he's
> avoiding doing -- saying "Yes! Global Warming Is Real! And We Have To
> Fix It Right Now At Any Cost!" -- to at least agree that generating
> less CO2 is better than generating more; that resisting a change of
> primary fuel source is worse than continuing to burn fossil fuel
> willy-nilly; that the major impediment to progress in this case is
> entrenched oil money; and that starting sooner is better than starting
> later.
>
> On the other hand, who's the bitch from Newsweek he's talking about?
>
> /jordan

He's avoiding knowing because he is aware the scientific consensus is that Climate Change is very real. Acknowledging this would mean he would have to question some cherished beliefs that he is uncomfortable confronting. Notice his wording, "global warming, or climate change, or however they're branding it now." He's dismissive of the idea, not just undecided. He also writes ""I don't know" can be a very bad answer when it is disingenuous." without realizing he's being disingenuous through his entire missive. Being skeptical of Climate Change is like being skeptical that Agent Orange poses a health risk or smoking causes cancer. You can always find a few scientists who hold unfounded beliefs if that is your goal. That isn't healthy skepticism, it's crackpottery. He hasn't spent a lifetime studying cancer but I bet he believes smoking causes cancer. Maybe not? It was Sharon Begley's blog where she points out that Penn and Teller are both supporters of the Cato Institute which disseminates quite a bit of Climate Change denial BS.

John Thornton