[lbo-talk] Penn Jillette on global warming

Tayssir John Gabbour tayssir.john at googlemail.com
Thu Jul 3 16:52:19 PDT 2008

On Fri, Jul 4, 2008 at 1:15 AM, Andy F <andy274 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 3, 2008 at 3:41 PM, Dwayne Monroe <dwayne.monroe at gmail.com> wrote:
>> The problem isn't really that all the facts aren't in or that we need
>> an extra dollop of skepticism (I'm confident Exxon and its fellow
>> travelers have given us multimillion dollars' worth of 'skepticism'),
>> it's that if, as appears likely, the science is accurate, we have to
>> re-think how we do pretty much everything.
>
> Jillette, I believe, is an avowed libertarian, an outlook that does
> not digest any environmental problem well.

Yes, right-wing libertarians have certain cultural blindspots. (To be fair, the left no doubt has them too, like I hear with nuclear power vs. coal.)

Penn & Teller's show on 9-11 conspiracy theorists turned me off from their show -- even though I agreed with their overall conclusion. Their arguments were full of such bullshit that I ended up having lots of sympathy for the conspiracy theorist they featured, despite my disagreement with him.

Tayssir