[lbo-talk] Power (Waiting for Foucault)

Tahir Wood twood at uwc.ac.za
Mon Jul 7 02:56:17 PDT 2008

>>> <lbo-talk-request at lbo-talk.org> 07/07/08 9:47 AM >>>
Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] Power (Waiting for Foucault) My feelings towards Heidegger as a thinker tend to waver between strong dislike and loathing, but I don't recall Heidegger being an anti-semite at any point. (Unlike Schmitt who writes some anti-semitic material early into the regime.) robert wood

There is a huge literature on this question, much of which is on the web. Cassirer's wife reports that even at the time of the Davos debates H. was known as an anti-semite. In other words, about three years before he even joined the nazi party. During his time in the party he went on to become a notorious snitch, including against people who associated with jews. He never expressed remorse at joining the nazi party, even though he would have had to be deaf, dumb and blind not to have known about the extent of Hitlerian anti-semitism in the early thirties when he joined. But I wonder why you would think that a nazi would not be anti-semitic. Unless you would like to try to argue that he was not 'really' a nazi, as some have tried to do. But he really was a nazi. Tahir -------------- next part -------------- All Email originating from UWC is covered by disclaimer http://www.uwc.ac.za/portal/public/portal_services/disclaimer.htm