[lbo-talk] Traven (was something else about gas)

Tahir Wood twood at uwc.ac.za
Mon Jul 7 00:10:06 PDT 2008

>>> <lbo-talk-request at lbo-talk.org> 07/06/08 12:29 AM >>>
Von: Joanna <123hop at comcast.net>

I have started reading R.B. Traven's jungle novels, a set of six novels recounting the events leading up to and around the Mexican revolution. Traven is magnificent. A born story teller and brilliant in being able to expose the core of historic relationships... In the first novel, "Government," the story mostly centers around how the colonial occupiers use "justice" to extract the maximum tribute, in labor and money, from the native population.? ? Yes, in some ways race relations have improved. In other ways, it seems like the "govt" has made the lynching official in the name of the war on drugs, the war on terror, the war on whatever the fuck.? ? I highly recommend Traven's writing. "Treasure of Sierra Madre" is the most famous. But "Death Ship" is a monument to global capital and local labor, and his short stories are very beautiful. Also,if you like a mystery, he is probably the most mysterious American writer of the 20th century.?

Yeah I've also enjoyed all those titles that you mention. But have you read The Secret of the Sierra Madre? It's a fascinating book about how the author gradually uncovered the riddle of Traven's identity. It reads like a mystery novel itself, but very well researched indeed. Tahir -------------- next part -------------- All Email originating from UWC is covered by disclaimer http://www.uwc.ac.za/portal/public/portal_services/disclaimer.htm