[lbo-talk] Barack-lash!

John Thornton jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net
Mon Jul 7 14:24:09 PDT 2008

Doug Henwood forwarded:
> I have repeatedly said that I think it’s entirely appropriate for
> states to restrict or even prohibit late-term abortions as long as
> there is a strict, well-defined exception for the health of the
> mother. Now, I don’t think that "mental distress" qualifies as the
> health of the mother. I think it has to be a serious physical issue
> that arises in pregnancy, where there are real, significant problems
> to the mother carrying that child to term. Otherwise, as long as there
> is such a medical exception in place, I think we can prohibit
> late-term abortions.

Can one of Obama's fans tell me if Obama thinks "mental distress" itself isn't a health concern or is this specifically a dismissal of womens "mental distress" as a health concern? Since a "strict, well-defined exception" of "serious physical issue[s]" would include a list of what is serious and what is frivolous I assume Obama's fans have access to what constitutes his idea of the strict well-defined exceptions? Would they care to share? Does Obama actually have a strict well-defined definition or is this something good people just inherently know?

John Thornton