[lbo-talk] Heidegger

Dennis Claxton ddclaxton at earthlink.net
Tue Jul 8 11:49:47 PDT 2008

At 01:45 AM 7/8/2008, Tahir Wood wrote:

>The discussion turned to Foucault. I then said OK, let's ask the
>same question about the alternative politics opened up by Foucault.

Wasn't it Adorno who said questions like this made him feel the questioner was saying the same as "papers please"?

Anyway, I'll try a simple answer. I think Foucault and Butler are attractive largely because they question certainties contained in, for example, a statement you made concerning heterosexuality. I think you summed it up with "men and women fucking each other and liking it." It's a small thing, but it's big for people who don't accept the common sense in a flat-footed statement like that.