[lbo-talk] it never hoits to ask

Bill Bartlett billbartlett at aapt.net.au
Thu Jul 10 23:47:12 PDT 2008

Re Jordan's grandmother advice: "it never hoits to ask". I was wondering if someone on this list might like to do me a favour.

You see, I have a guilty secret. To ask the favour I guess I have to confess:

Here goes, I collect coins. There, I said it, I'm out of the closet, its awful. Probably a mid-life crisis thing, go ahead make fun, I deserve it. But it gets worse, I waste hours on Ebay buying these coins and like any other addict, I fuel this by selling excess coins back on Ebay.

Anyhow, I was wondering if any of the other regulars on this list shared the Ebay filthy habit. I collect Australian coins, but there's a surprising number of these appear for sale on Ebay from people in the US. I've bought a few coins from there and sold the odd one or two back even. (You'd think they had enough of their own coins to hoard, but there you go.)

The best bargains are to be had from Americans who only make their auctions readily available to bidders in the US. Most will let foreigners bid if asked, but a few seem to be fearful of posting to anyone outside the US and actually reject foreign bidders.

Big mistake. Turning away potential bidders is just plain bad business, inevitably leading to lower prices.

I'd like to take advantage of their foolishness by finding someone in the US, with at least a passing acquaintance with the mysteries of Ebay, to whom I could have the odd purchase posted to. Someone who wouldn't mind taking the trouble to forward my purchases on to me out here in the big bad foreign world. Would need a Paypal account I could use to send postage money and be willing to let me use their precious US address. In some cases, these people go so far as to actually block bidders from outside the US, so someone willing to trust me enough to actually place the bid for me from their own account would be quite handy too.

Anyone mug enough to volunteer please let me know. Don't worry I won't out you as an Ebay user if you want to remain in the secret. It'll just be between you, me and the FBI/CIA. ;-) On the plus side, I'll teach you all I know about Australian coins, which admittedly isn't much as I'm just an amateur.

Bill Bartlett Bracknell Tas