[lbo-talk] democracy in action

Eric rayrena at realtime.net
Fri Jul 11 22:20:56 PDT 2008

>At 04:22 PM 7/11/2008, shag wrote:
>
>>Please dish more dirt on Jensen!
>
>He's a Presbyterian. This talk is on the web:

I hadn't checked in on Jensen in a year or so. As this indicates <http://uts.cc.utexas.edu/%7Erjensen/freelance/shapingoursouls.htm>, he's clearly rounded the fucking bend. Good god. So to speak. I knew about his joining a church a couple of years ago, as there was some "controversy" about it here <http://www.austinchronicle.com/gyrobase/Issue/story?oid=oid:378612>, an avowed atheist joining a church and all. But I figured it would be a passing thing, that after the controversy and the desired persecution died away, it's be over. Apparently he's really a (non)believer, and now he even gives sermons.

Here's a lovely story about him testifying for the state of Texas on the evils of nudity and in favor of the "titty tax." <http://www.austinchronicle.com/gyrobase/Issue/story?oid=oid:575580> (I somehow missed this one last year; what an ass this guy is.)

I can't imagine reading a whole book by him, especially the pornography book. Reading this short essay <http://www.zmag.org/znet/viewArticle/4868> made me depressed for a week. My fave: "Leftists -- especially left men -- need to get over the obsession with getting off."

I wish I had more dirt on him. But I think you'd have to be an interesting person to be dirty, and other than his t-shirts, there's nothing dirty about Jensen. My crack about the refrigerator box was a reference to an interview I read with him several years ago where he pointed to how he was fighting consumerism and helping the environment by living in a small efficiency apartment and said that everyone needs to do things like that to because we are too privileged.

Of course, his religious turn isn't that surprising or incompatible with his politics really. His insistence on activism, and on activistism politics, is just a modernized version of the Protestant work ethic. Here's something I wrote for my blog a year and a half ago about his latest venture at the time, a "night of dialogue and community":