[lbo-talk] boilerplate

Sean Andrews cultstud76 at gmail.com
Sat Jul 12 08:50:28 PDT 2008

On Sat, Jul 12, 2008 at 8:17 AM, shag <shag at cleandraws.com> wrote:

> coderz use boilerplate code all the time. that's what it's there for, so you
> can make short work of the easy stuff and move on to the more complicated
> stuff.

I was speaking with a colleague a few years ago and she also mentioned this. Her query was whether, in the long run, this would create a problem. She speculated that there were few people who really understood how the more fundamental codes on which many major programs were based actually worked. They knew what the code did when they dropped it into a certain program, but, over time, there would be fewer and fewer people who understood why it worked and, thus, how to re-write it or fix it based on the new environment. In her estimation this was why Microsoft programs were so buggy. The whole speculation seemed a bit of a stretch and, coming from a lit major with tech experience, perhaps just a Pomo schoolmarm perspective. Still in thinking about this, I wonder if there might be something to it. Any thoughts?