[lbo-talk] boilerplate

shag shag at cleandraws.com
Sat Jul 12 06:17:01 PDT 2008

At 02:29 AM 7/12/2008, andie nachgeborenen wrote:
>Don't condescend to me. Since you have been spouting off about the law,
>shall I tell you to shut up and not offer legal advice about matters on
>which you are ignorant? (Manifestly.) I'm as numerate as you, possibly
>more so. "Average" can mean mean, median, or mode. In the context of a
>joke it is pedantic in a stupid way to disambiguate. In fact, since the
>audience, most of them, doesn't understand the distinction, it would ruin
>the point. So we can add humor to the list of things you are not competent
>in., along with civility Let's just hope you're a better tekkie than you
>are a pseudo-lawyer, pedant, humorist, and conversationalist. But it is
>tekkie-like, in the manner of immature male tekkies who haven't grown up,
>to try to one-up people. It's also extremely annoying. Don't do it
>anymore. All that said I do appreciate the good work you do for the list.

now, now.

just to clarify publicly -- i already wrote offlist -- i don't think the attorney is dumb. i don't think too highly of her as a practioner based on the way she treated a friend and based on the way we were treated when a incident occured with the women's restrooms last year. be that as it may, as i indicated, i'm aware the attys use boilerplate. I stated that already. i guess my laughter was more rueful than anything, because of what this is going to do to company morale. but that's another story, best discussed offline.

as a note more related to capitalism and its discontents:

coderz use boilerplate code all the time. that's what it's there for, so you can make short work of the easy stuff and move on to the more complicated stuff. or watch youtube. or say to yourself, "like any good capitalist, i invested an effort up front to write that boilerplate code and/or know where to find it online and in books. that is why i have skillz. now that i can reuse it and save myself time and aggravation, i can kick back and reap the profits in the form of more free time (youtube watching while on company clock..) and less aggravation.

of course, it wouldn't do to try to tell capitalists you're just doing what they do. heh.

they might think you're actually, you know, a smart person and that'll get your fired fersure. :)