[lbo-talk] Heidegger

Mike Ballard swillsqueal at yahoo.com.au
Sat Jul 12 13:55:24 PDT 2008

Chris complained:

I wish people would quit writing things that are not true.

(Buried as a Catholic! Oh no!)

--- On Thu, 7/10/08, Mike Ballard <swillsqueal at yahoo.com.au> wrote:

> As for Heidegger, he remained an unapologetic Hitlerite to
> the end and was buried as a Catholic.

***** I got the information on his burial from various sources including this one from Martin Heidegger: Paths Taken, Paths Opened By Gregory Bruce Smith:

http://books.google.com/books?id=wiIcH5NIPOUC&pg=PA31&lpg=PA31&dq=Heidegger+buried+in+Catholic&source=web&ots=NaEpp5cIWj&sig=p6ts2jx_MzMOv2ifaiXpbwSSadY&hl=en&sa=X&oi=book_result&resnum=3&ct=result

As for him being an unapologetic Hiterlite, I think that shows in what information I've seen supplied on this list and his own, rather tender treatment of Hitler. He was, as you've pointed out, critical of mistakes which the NSDAP leadership made; but my impression is that he continued to think that Hiter himself had been misinformed by the people who surrounded him. I don't think that his contemporary, Lukacs, would have had the same kind of tender view of Stalin or for that matter, Trotsky, toward the end of his life.

Perhaps, I'm wrong though. Can you give a quote or two from Heidegger which was critical of Hitler?

Mike B)

The only constant is change. http://www.iww.org/en/join

Start at the new Yahoo!7 for a better online experience. www.yahoo7.com.au