[lbo-talk] Nicholas Stern's What Is To Be Done on climate change

John Thornton jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net
Sun Jul 13 12:45:50 PDT 2008

Eubulides wrote:
> John Thornton wrote:
>>> That is why I don't believe we will not find the will to do what is
>>> needed until after it is too late.
>>
>> Ack!
>> Gin and tonic alert.
>> Drop out the "don't" or the "not" for the above to make sense.
>>
>> JT

> Too late for what?
>
> The mess we're in is hardly as bad as the Permian era...........
>
> Ian

So the Permian era climatic conditions are now the threshold we're trying to stay below? That's good to know. It gives us more time to continue polluting. No matter how fucked the climate gets you can always find some era that was worse in some manner. I fail to see how noting this is helpful.

"Too late" as in too late to avoid setting off positive feedback loops that amplify climate instability.

Believing that we will not avoid the positive feedback loops is fatalism/despair and therefore not interesting is an odd idea. Believing we will avoid these feedback loops is like believing Obama is an agent of progressive change. It may make you feel better about your 35 month olds chances for a less bleak climatic future but it is equally unrealistic. Better to deal with unpleasant realism than hide behind positive feeling fantasies.

A couple that I'm very close to just adopted a child. With that adoption came an adjustment in their view of climate change. In their words they can no longer allow themselves to believe the climate problem will be severe or else they will lose hope for their child's future. A rather silly method to use to form ones beliefs on climate change. Apparently a very popular method as well. I don't believe we will avoid the positive feedbacks but it damn sure won't be from lack of effort on my part. I fail to see why believing near future generations will face positive feedback loops that amplify climate instability equals fatalism/despair.

John Thornton