[lbo-talk] URPE Summer Conference -- Aug 15-18 -- REGISTER NOW! ORGANIZE A PANEL!

B. docile_body at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 14 10:08:18 PDT 2008

Well, I would hope not too many people would believe in the false dichotomy of working directly with the poor or being a policy wonk. I mean, working directly with the poor is not exactly something leftists, or anyone, should discourage. It's badly needed. Whether it's doctors, organizers, social workers, or whatever.

If encouraging more people to become anti-capitalist economists would hasten the creation of a post-capitalist society, then I'm all for that, too. But mostly I would like to see people doing whatever it takes to make a post-capitalist society happen. I dunno if that entails getting a good paying job with your degree, or not.

-B.

sawicky at verizon.net wrote:

"You could become a doctor and tend to the poor with zero political impact. Could you have more impact teaching English lit? I doubt it."