[lbo-talk] Adolph Reed on BHO

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Thu Jul 17 05:01:23 PDT 2008

How many "successful" anti-war movements have there been in the last 200 years? As far as I know, one -- the Bolshevik Revolution. The current anti-war movement is being measured by wildly false standards. We didn't stop the war in the '60s -- we merely made it a public issue and racicalized a lot of people in the process. And anyhow, the anti-war movement was merely an off-shoot of the Black Liberation Movement.

How many "successful" mass movements have there been in the last two hundred years? By what standard is the present non-movement being measured?

Where have movements come from? As far as I can tell by various people continuing to monkey around with dismal unsuccess until a complex of condtions and the response to them created a wave which someone (or several someones) were able to generalize correctly into a couple slogans which energizdc ghd many local struggles at a national level. This never quite happened in the 1930s.

Why are posters expecting that we can excogitate a plan out of thin air than will it into action?

Carrol