[lbo-talk] Adolph Reed on BHO

Charles A. Grimes cgrimes at rawbw.com
Thu Jul 17 13:39:14 PDT 2008

``...research on this is clear: attitudes and consciousness are the effects of (not the causes of!) changes in social conditions...we don't need to change people's minds to change society; we need to change society to change people's minds...'' Miles

-----

I would argue we need both.

But let's go back to the above. Sure changes in conditions are reflected in changes of consciousness. But, those conditions are changing for the worse, hence the `receptivity' to changes in consciousness. When social conditions get worse, then consciousness has changed, and I would advocate that's when people are more receptive.

So, it doesn't necessarily follow that progressives need to change society. The Capitalists are doing a fine job of changing conditions...

CG