[lbo-talk] Adolph Reed on BHO

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Thu Jul 17 15:12:26 PDT 2008

Miles Jackson wrote:

> Julio Huato wrote:
> > If it's not the gradual accumulation of individual, molecular, small
> > efforts of communication that leads to a phase change in the social
> > consciousness, then what is it? Magic? That's what I get from Zinn's
> > article.
> The social psychological research on this is clear: attitudes and
> consciousness are the effects of (not the causes of!) changes in social
> conditions. To put it simply, we don't need to change people's minds to
> change society; we need to change society to change people's minds.

I believe there are two sources for such change: from an external force (not likely; certainly not to be depended on), and from a militant minority which by its actions changes social relations, thereby (in rare instances) beginning a benificent circle. The activity of blacks (and their few white allies) in the early '60s by itself constituted a changed society -- this happening while public opinion remained firmly against the trouble-makers and no state adjustment (legistlative or executive) had occurred. Wider changes in attitude only began in the late '60s.

Carrol