[lbo-talk] teaching the pampered rich at Harvard

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Tue Jul 22 13:51:45 PDT 2008

On Jul 22, 2008, at 4:21 PM, Joseph Catron wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 22, 2008 at 2:39 PM, Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com>
> wrote:
>
>> I doubt many alums of WSU buy newspapers and cut the pay of
>> contributors.
>
> Did you see that as the main point of Summers' essay?

Well, sorta. To me, his point is that the pampered children of our elite go to places like Harvard to learn how to make even more money than they grew up with, and view the faculty as hired help that will assist them in that goal. According to my sister-in-law, who graduated from Harvard in 2006, he's right about the place, even if he does sound like "a fruit salad of sour grapes." I doubt that the student body at Wayne State is anything like that.

Doug