[lbo-talk] teaching the pampered rich at Harvard

Joseph Catron jncatron at gmail.com
Tue Jul 22 14:02:58 PDT 2008

On Tue, Jul 22, 2008 at 4:51 PM, Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> wrote:

> To me, his point is that the pampered children of our elite go
> to places like Harvard to learn how to make even more money than they grew
> up with, and view the faculty as hired help that will assist them in that
> goal.

But in my experience, that's generally what the majority of students from every class have in mind when they head off to college. If I've ever noticed any difference, it's that those from comfortable backgrounds are somewhat more likely to go the art history or English route. The children of working stiffs typically head straight for the undergrad B-schools and engineering departments.