[lbo-talk] dustup revisited

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Fri Jul 25 16:39:29 PDT 2008

"Charles A. Grimes" wrote:

> ``Because until a week ago he was co-chair of McCain's campaign...''
> Dennis Claxton
>
> -------
>
> Yes, and a very long list of other reasons. The biggest reason is you
> want to eliminate Gramm from ever holding public office again. He is
> very likely to be on the top ten possible Dept of Treasury secetary's
> list, if McCain get elected.

I really don't see this. The Collective I pointed out is certain to appear in some other bodies, and focusing on Gramm seriously obscures this fact. There are always some Congressman who are as innocent as lbo-posters and don't know what is going on, and when they find out it is useful for them to squeak, "That bad [whoever] sneaked the bill past us. Well, it wasn'[t sneaked by a couple hundred others who knew fucking well what was going on and voted for it _for that reason_!

It is almost bizarre to try to pin a single name as the criminal in such instances. And it does distort the nature of capitalist politics.

Carrol