[lbo-talk] Iran petition

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sat Jul 26 08:43:08 PDT 2008

On Jul 26, 2008, at 11:26 AM, Marvin Gandall wrote:

>> I signed because it said "don't attack Iran!" It took about 30
>> seconds.
>> It's an essentially meaningless gesture...
> Why apologize? Meaningless as compared to what?

A large-scale organizing campaign. With a few keystrokes and mouseclicks, anyone can sign a petition, and no doubt an "open letter" of this sort is received, if it's noticed at all, with barely a shrug. If a million people descended on Denver for the Dem convention to call for no attack on Iran and withdrawal from Iraq and Afghanistan, that might be something.

The assumption of the petition that Obama is somehow antiwar is ludicrous, of course. At least it is to me; I'm guessing it isn't to all of the signers.

Doug