[lbo-talk] Dustup - final installment

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sat Jul 26 08:50:24 PDT 2008

On Jul 26, 2008, at 11:42 AM, Julio Huato wrote:

> Actually, I should have said that such a view is antithetical with
> being on the left. Any suitable definition of the left (as a
> political force, however organized or fragmented it may be at a given
> time) must include the premise that we, as individuals, can
> consciously change our social conditions. Political action is
> precisely the mediation

But foundational structures, like the "responsible individual" that Miles pointed out, are, if not quite hardwired, rather like firmware. It's not easy to change them. And in times of crisis, people often revert to the basics, for security. Maybe I've read too much psychoanalysis for my own good.

Doug