[lbo-talk] Iran petition

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sat Jul 26 10:07:00 PDT 2008

On Jul 26, 2008, at 12:54 PM, Marvin Gandall wrote:

> Short of bringing a million people to Denver, which you know is not a
> realistic possibility at this time, a petition campaign, however
> unpromising, is at least better than nothing. If I were as
> dismissive of the
> petition as you are, I would have politely declined to sign it but
> wished
> it's organizers well - rather than doing the opposite. Your about-
> face,
> sorry to say, seems to be a case of trying to run with the hare and
> hunt
> with the hounds or, in more modern parlance, trying to work both
> sides of
> the street.

Both sides of the street need working. Why do I have to choose?

I thought it was better than nothing, which is why I signed it. It doesn't matter all that much though. Why should I have refused to sign it? I have refused to sign things that were critical of Cuba and Iran because I objected to them on principle. Besides, asking Obama to act like the antiwar candidate he's supposed to be isn't a bad way of showing people that he's not, because he won't.

Doug