[lbo-talk] Iran petition

Marvin Gandall marvgandall at videotron.ca
Sat Jul 26 10:39:48 PDT 2008

Doug writes:

> Both sides of the street need working. Why do I have to choose?

There's nothing wrong with associating with liberals, social democrats, and radicals of all stripes, and encouraging the broadest possible unity between them. But the message has to be consistent, as in all cases where you're forced to choose on disputed questions between friends, workmates, or relatives. In this case, indicating through your action to liberals and other supporters of the petition that you support what they're doing and then seconding those on the far left like Michael Smith who scorn their efforts is what is meant by working both sides of the street. I called you on it because it's not how you typically deal with political questions, and I'd just as soon put this behind us and move on.