[lbo-talk] Brit politix

Lenin's Tomb leninstombblog at googlemail.com
Sat Jul 26 10:08:18 PDT 2008

I'll have a bash at this. Labour remains a party with an overwhelmingly working class base, but the meltdown in its vote has led to most C2DE voters (not equivalent to working class admittedly) intending to either vote Tory (42%), Lib Dem (16%) or the mysterious 'Other' (16%).* Past breakdowns tended to show 'Other' including 'centre-left' nationalist parties such as the SNP and Plaid Cymru, the far right, UKIP, the Greens and - until a year ago - Respect. (The left-vote as a whole is going to contract dramatically in the next election, short of a major social upheaval over pay and related issues.)

Cameron's conservatives are redefining their agenda to sound vaguely to the left of Labour, on NHS cuts, civil liberties, Post Office closures, etc. In this way, they are shedding the aura of nastiness that alienated 'nice' centre-right voters and drove them to vote Liberal. So, they'll get back the lost middle class vote. Meanwhile, the Tories' position on the euro may not suit most of big business, but on the whole there is enough antipathy to the euro from sectors of big capital, small businesses, and the population at large, that it doesn't matter. The aggressive defense of British capital from modest social democratic constraints promulgated by the EU, as well as the aggressive and undemocratic promotion of aspects of EU legislation they do like, is something they can expect from both parties. What business likes about the Tories today is that they can win the next election and enforce their programme even more aggressively and less defensively than New Labour.

* http://www.yougov.com/archives/pdf/tables%2008%2007%2011%20stfull.pdf