[lbo-talk] Brit politix

Steve Palmer spalmer999 at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 26 14:37:38 PDT 2008

At the 1992 and 2005 elections, the vote split like this:

1992 2005 Middle class

Labour 9% 17%

Non-labour 32% 40%

Working class

Labour 26% 19%

Non-labour 33% 24%

Source: www.ipsos-mori.com/_assets/reports/blairs-britain-political-legacy.pdf

I think the core Tory City-hedgerows alliance has always been there. Tories since the early 20th century have always needed a section of the working class to get to power - as you can see, it's a wishful left myth that the British working class mostly votes Labour. The 'euro-skepticism' is, I'm sure just red meat to keep the core Tories and Tory workers salivating. If he tried anything serious about pulling back from Europe, some awkward pictures would surface I'm sure.