[lbo-talk] Noam on Porn

John Thornton jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net
Mon Jul 28 12:12:07 PDT 2008

Lenin's Tomb wrote:
> I'm just alarmed by the energetic disavowals here. I promise I'm not trying
> to dampen anyone's ardour.

I'm just as alarmed by puritanical condemnations of fantasy sexual outlets.

What percentage of porn is, in your words:

"ass-spanking, slapping, name-calling, face-jizzing and various other techniques of asserting dominance"

You write it is the majority but how do you know this? Is it 55%? 65%? 85%? Or can we dispense with the facts since "everyone" simply knows this is what most porn is all about anyway?

I don't like war movies so I don't watch them. I don't argue they make people go to war or make people kill others. If you don't like "male dominated" porn don't watch it but if you want to argue it facilitates male dominance in society at large you need to demonstrate how you know this.

Incidentally I used to be pretty good consumer of porn and I seldom saw porn that was "ass-spanking, slapping, name-calling, face-jizzing and various other techniques of asserting dominance". There a lot to choose from in porn. You sound like one of the people who got all hot and bothered over the cover of the July issue of Art Monthly Australia.

John Thornton