[lbo-talk] Noam on Porn

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Mon Jul 28 11:38:26 PDT 2008

On Jul 28, 2008, at 3:12 PM, John Thornton wrote:

> Lenin's Tomb wrote:
>> I'm just alarmed by the energetic disavowals here. I promise I'm
>> not trying
>> to dampen anyone's ardour.
>

> I'm just as alarmed by puritanical condemnations of fantasy sexual
> outlets.
>
> What percentage of porn is, in your words:
>
> "ass-spanking, slapping, name-calling, face-jizzing and various
> other techniques of asserting dominance"
>
> You write it is the majority but how do you know this?

Years ago, when porn came out on VHS tapes, a friend of Dan Lazare's made a point of classifying porn. He looked at thousands of tapes - he was a connoisseur as well as a taxonomist - and concluded that the genre that LT thinks is the norm is in fact the minority.

There are so many different kinds that it's preposterous to claim that it's mostly about male dominance of women. There's queer porn and female-dominant porn too. Read Fleshbot for a few days and see.

Speaking of Fleshbot, there's this, which is rather counterhegemonic:

<http://fleshbot.com/5028378/the-bald-and-the-beautiful-shaved-head-girls-are-cool

>.

Doug